There is Ability in Disability - Olubunmi


Watching Olubunmi Dada perform on stage, you would hardly know she is blind; totally blind. The young inspirational singer has not allowed her handicap to take the better side of her, as she shows off her stagecraft, thrilling guests with songs that would make them ask for more.


Started singing as a child in her primary school days in the Paceli School for the Blind, Surulere, Lagos, Olubunmi carried her hobby to her secondary school, where she sang in the school’s choir and from there moved to the Federal College of Education Special, Oyo State, where she studied theatre arts.


“Music is an in-built thing in me, I can’t run away from it, yet I can’t explain why I am so much involved in it. I started singing in my primary school days, where I was a member of my school choir. In the College of Education, I was the lead vocalist of the Redeemed Campus choir and was always invited to minister in different campus fellowships,” she revealed.

Apart from performing, Olubunmi writes her songs with the help of her Braille and other gadgets, including the computer.Since you are visually impaired, who writes your songs? “I write all my songs. I get inspiration from things around me and through the study of the Holy Bible. I got the inspiration of Gbemisola from the Bible, the song talks about how God made man, how He pronounced some blessings on man and how man is a carrier of those blessings, which are like honey,” she said.

Olubunmi, who became blind at the age of three as a result of the attack of measles, recently released her second album, Alive, which is produced by Coham Asuquo and Tolucci.

“It is a five-track album. I wrote four of the songs with the help of my Braille, computer and ipad. My ipad has an in-built software that enables me to do all things.

“ The fifth track Domo Domo is an Edo language praise song, I did not write it. I picked it while I was at a show in Edo State. Oda Oyin Si Ola Mi is my first album, I wrote all the songs in it, but Alive is my second album,” she said.

Many a time, mangers/produce rip off artistes under their control, but Olubunmi said with her situation, she has never suffered such and does not see it coming her way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you know her? American man robbed by pretty Kenyan woman, offers N631k for her arrest

A schoolgirl was exorcised at Jamaica

Newsletter